Friday, February 18, 2011

OF WAR – Once Upon a Time……


Sitting on a stone was an old man.
He had an unearthly look.
For his left leg he had a stub
For his left hand – a hook.

Walking down the road, I was amused by his sight.
I felt an urge to talk.
“Sir, how is it that you have only two limbs?
Will you be able to walk?”

His right hand he placed upon my head
Over me, he cast a spell.
His piercing look bore into me.
His tale he began to tell

“It is the story of revenge –
The tale I will tell you now.
It is the story of treason and hate
With a little shade of love.

Once there lived an able king –
Courageous and just was he.
He had a daughter – the heir of the kingdom –
Who was admired and loved by me”

I asked him “How did she look? Was she beautiful? Why did you admire her?”

“The princess was charming.
Had an enchanting smile did she.
She was beauty in human form,
As beautiful as beauty could be.

She was generous; She was kind
She was character personified
She was the owner of a magical voice
She was our kingdom’s pride.

I served the king, his General I was.
I was his comrade; He was never a boss.
Many a war we fought together, many a war we won.
Once I did save him from death
From then we became one.

One fine day, I asked the king
If I could marry his daughter.
For a moment he stood still.
Then, he burst into laughter.

‘Who are you?’ the king asked
‘to ask my daughter in marriage?
You are after all, my General.
I want a prince with lineage’”
The old man continued “This insult I could not bear. The king had hot me where it hurt most. I decided to take revenge and make the king pay for his words. His most trusted General was to become his enemy, for the king had destroyed the love I carried for his daughter”

He continued:

“Then came a war – a fierce war.
What a huge army our’s was!
The king was away fighting the enemy king.
Of the army, I was the boss.

On sending the troops to fight the enemy,
To assist the king I went.
‘Oh! What a chance!’ I thought
‘A chance fate has sent’

In order to fight the enemy king,
I went and joined my boss.
When the chance presented itself,
I slew my Master’s horse.

Our king fell down. I thrust my sword
Through his mighty heart.
He swung around and with his sword,
Chopped my two limbs apart.
The war was lost, but not the kingdom –
It was gifted by the enemy king.
I was the king, I ran to the princess
But I could not hear her sing.

The princess had died, the people – enraged!
They knew of my deed.
They pelted stones, they hit me
Till I could no longer bleed

They carried me atop a hill.
They nailed me to a tree.
With the tree, I was burnt,
But my soul was not to be free.

My story ends here” he said.
“Oh! Let him not be a spirit” I wished
“Who are you, then?” I asked aloud.
Right before my eyes, he vanished!!!

2 comments:

  1. it reminds me of "THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER"
    EXCEPT HERE...........the tresspasser willingly wants to listen to the story!!!!!

    ReplyDelete