Saturday, February 12, 2011

IN AN "EGG"SHELL(not nutshell as the phrase goes)

This post is not to discuss anything serious. They are just two anecdotes.

 It so happened that I returned home from school to find my brother a little excited. "A pigeon has made a nest on our bathroom window sill and has laid an egg". He has an inclination for nature and that sort of things. There was no doubt he was excited. He derived great thrill in watching the bird everyday as it sat incubating the egg. No doubt we had to bang the bathroom door several times when he went to bathe those few days!!
Even I slightly caught up with his enthusiasm and was seen climbing onto the chair to watch the egg - I am shorter than him; so what? Even Tendulkar is short -
 My brother recently joined a gym(nasium). He wants to gain weight and develop stamina and fitness!! He doesn't have a body that can be boasted about - nor do I. The gym trainers initially made fun of him he says "admiring" his body. Even the other people who come to the gym chuckled when they saw him, he says. And that made my brother extremely determined to develop a body and gain weight. He heard them say that eating eggs will help build a body. And that trigerred off a series of events which i enjoyed receding to the backdrop of all the drama:
   Soon after coming home he told our mother that he wanted to eat eggs. We are a strictly vegetarian family. Infact, eating eggs was something we could not imagine(though many had eaten once upon a time). He called one of our cousins who was his "senior" and asked him how he ate the egg. Let us not go into what he told and what my brother asked again. That was it. He told how he had eaten the egg.
  Then my brother called up another senior in the family - senior in age this time - who said something not very encouraging about eating eggs. He - the senior -  too is an activist for vegetarianism. And my brother was caught between to opposite currents - to eat an egg or not. And in that cross-fire in the mind, I don't think he had his meal properly that day(meal of rice) - I don't exactly recollect.
  And today, the egg is no longer on the window sill of our bathroom(my brother has no hand in it - I swear). Maybe, a cat or something ate it. Maybe, it fell down. Maybe, it was shifted to a place where it is safer. I hope it is the third.
  And today, my brother is yet to taste an egg - an omlette or whatever the dish is made of the egg. Maybe, he will never eat an egg. Maybe, he will eat it in secrecy. Maybe, he will eat it in public. I hope it is the third.
 This is my brother - in an "egg"shell.

1 comment: