Sunday, March 4, 2018

Yours Whimsically - Part 17: Uncomfortable Questions (Part 1)

I turn twenty-three in a few weeks’ time. This is the age when one should delineate his/her philosophy of life. Of course, there is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ rule. Moreover, the philosophy, the ground rules by which one plays the game, can evolve. However, unless a drastic, life-changing event occurs, the ground rules we draw now will fundamentally remain same through our lives. Or so I believe and  I decided to work out my philosophy. I might not find an answer anytime soon. That doesn’t prevent me from attempting, does it?

Disclaimer: This piece is basically me musing out loud. You might find points which are not agreeable. You, reader, are free to turn back at this point.

The first challenge I met was to define my identity, for your outlook towards life depends on who you are, where you come from and where you are headed. The first few bits were easy. I am an Indian by nationality – I have my passport, my Aadhaar (dutifully linked to my bank accounts, phone numbers, what not!). I am a Kannadiga. I accept these and I am happy. I have neither the chance nor the will to change either of them. Fate landed me in a Hindu Brahmin household. This is the tricky bit. I was born a Hindu, a Brahmin. Now, twenty-three years later, am I a Hindu, a Brahmin by chance or by choice?

At the very outset, why should I bother answering this question, be it to myself or to anyone else? It is because caste is a reality in the India of our times, however rosy a picture we may try to paint. Off late, religion is once again becoming part of the mainstream political dialogue, with a Hindu chauvinist party in power at the centre, the main opposition trying to signal that it is no less Hindu and another leading political figure saying she’ll convert to Buddhism along with her followers.

My grandmother was very finicky about rituals. It’s familial lore that I had once confronted her about whether she enquired the caste of the driver before boarding a rickshaw! No. I was not a born-revolutionary. It was merely a child’s prank to provoke his grandmother. Brahmanism to me, back then, was merely a collection of rituals. Within my extended family, I have extremes as examples. One the one hand, I have uncles who are very religious, perform elaborate pujas and are proud of their Brahmin identity. I shall not speak about their spirituality since I have never talked to them in this regard. Moreover, who am I to gauge and judge their extent and depth of spirituality? On the other hand, there is my father and his brothers whose Brahmanism (as far as I've seen) does not go beyond a few sholkas and stotras, along with wearing the janivara (janeu/sacred thread) at least during Ganesh Chaturthi and at the time of my grandparents’ shraddha. Then, there is my brother and I, who do not even have the sacred thread. Does it make us un-Brahminical?

As a teenager, there were times when I said I was an atheist. At one point of time, it was quite a fad to call oneself an atheist, with or without understanding the full implication of the term. A few of my friends still call themselves so, with some contempt to those who call themselves faithful. I then realized that being an atheist required much stronger conviction than I could muster. I took a few steps back and said I am an 'agnost'. Frankly, whenever I faced some challenge or an outcome which didn’t favor me, I said they were destined by the One above. In more successful times, I celebrated my hardwork and effort.

Then came a phase when I had ‘private conversations’ with Him/Her, whenever I accompanied the family to a temple. ‘I know you are not in there. If what they say is true, how can you be restricted to these four walls? I will not ask you for anything, for you are supposed to know everything and hence, would know what I want – even without me having to spell it out’. At the same time, I bowed my head in reverence in front of any Hindu temple, Jain temple, church or mosque I passed.

I never worked out why there were so many images of gods and goddesses. ‘How can all of these be true?’ I asked. An elephant-headed god made no sense, unless you looked at it as a symbol, signifying that knowledge and strength could lie within even imperfect exteriors. More importantly, who had seen these forms before creating their likeness? Seemingly historical figures, the Formless One started looking more attractive when compared to this, as I grappled to understand faith with my limited knowledge. 

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment